Instagram

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Edinburgh Castle

We visited Edinburgh Castle today and got a slap in the face by some history. I had researched quite a bit of the Scottish/English monarchy before I got here, but I've learned SO much on this trip. Seeing Westminster Abbey, Stirling Castle, and Edinburgh Castle really solidified some gaps for me about Mary, Queen of Scots. You really need to research the royal family tree, it's nuts! 






The national animal of Scotland is the Unicorn! THE UNICORN! I knew I was drawn to Scotland, this just solidified it. Notice the rose and the thistle intertwined at the bottom. That represents the first peace between England and Scotland when James VI (Stewart) married Margaret Tudor (Henry the VIII's big sister). The thistle represents the Stuarts and the red rose is the Tudor Rose. The Lion in Gold is the Royal Standard of Scotland. James and Magaret are Mary Queen of Scots parents. 

Then there is the freaking awesome unicorns!!! I can't get over it, seriously. 



 This is the Great Hall in the Edinburgh Castle. It was built for King James IV the old way, with a hammer and wooden pegs! Every part of the roof was engraved with Viking carvings too. It also housed a ton of old Scottish weapons. 




Edinburgh has quite a bit of history, obviously, and then that also ties to my love of the Outlander Series. If you read book 2, Dragonfly in Amber, Charles II has a different ring to your ears. Here's the official portrait Bonnie Prince Charlie for your amusement. 






All in all, it was a fantastic day in Scotland and a wonderful nerdy day for me and the crew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment